Associate of General Studies (AGS)
For students who are not pursuing specific transfer or Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs, the Associate of General Studies (AGS) degree provides an alternative to pursue a broad general education and accomplish personal educational goals. It is important for a student to work closely with an advisor in designing a course plan for this degree. Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
- The AGS awards a degree for completion of college-level coursework in core skills and general education and allows students flexibility to customize more than half of the degree’s required number of credits. It can be used to enhance employment, meet sponsoring agency requirements and/or meet unusual baccalaureate requirements.
- The AGS degree is not transferable as a whole and does not meet certification requirements for any Career and Technical Education (CTE) area.
- The AGS degree does not guarantee that a student will meet all lower-division general education and major requirements; however, with careful academic advising and in consideration of transfer institution requirements, the AGS degree may be designed to do so.
- 90-108 credits
- Contains general education and elective courses
- Elective credits must be numbered 100 and higher
- Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
- All courses must be completed with a C grade or higher.
Students may elect to be an exploratory student at the beginning of their academic career at COCC. This provides students the opportunity to explore different programs and majors before deciding on a program or degree. Students may choose the Exploratory - Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer (AAOT), which allows room to explore different subjects while completing general education classes.