ART 158C1 : Jewelry - Enameling I
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Basic introduction to enameling on copper and fine silver. Techniques for texturing, using stencils, sifting and wet-packing enamel, adding foils, kiln firing, cold connecting and finishing techniques will be included.
1. Develop the skills necessary to make jewelry fusing enamel onto copper and fine silver in a kiln.
2. Develop skill with enamel applications using sifting, stencils, and wet packing.
3. Learn to recognize and attain a high level of craftsmanship. Craftsmanship is the ability to attain a purposeful
finish on the front and back of the project - no blemishes, scratches, other inappropriate marks.
4. Understand how to achieve a good design for jewelry by 1) creating a balance between the var ious elements which provide contrast in a design, 2) using the unifying principles of design to make the elements visually cohesive, 3) developing the sensitivity to recognize a visual ly appealing division of space to create a strong composition.
5. Develop critical and creative thinking skills to 1) generate several imaginative preliminary ideas; 2) design an extended series of one of the ideas using innovative or exploratory thinking; and 3) suggest ways to improve the weaknesses in both their own design solutions and the solutions created by others in the class.