HHP 210 : Introduction to the Health Care System
Intro to Health Care System
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Provides tools to examine and critically assess the U.S. health care delivery system, its components, and the challenges created by its structure. Considers the U.S. health care system from the perspective of multiple players and partners, including consumers/patients, primary health care, hospitals, providers, insurers, and government. Compares and contrasts the U.S. health care system to health care systems in other developed and emerging countries.
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and/or conditions and health.
2. Describe the characteristics and trends of the major components of the US
healthcare delivery and financing systems.
3. Explain the political, social and systems processes that underpin and helped shape the US healthcare system, within the context of historical forces.
4. List and evaluate the major motivations behind the structure of the US
5. Describe the critical challenges to sustainability and affordability facing the US
healthcare system today.
6. Critically evaluate the role of government in supporting healthcare delivery in the U.S. and in a selection of other developed, emerging and developing countries.
• Overview of the major characteristics and foundations of health care delivery in the U.S.
• Role of cost, access and quality in health care delivery and health outcomes
• Health technology and its impact on health care delivery and health outcomes
• History of health insurance in the U.S. and financial and reimbursement methods
• Managed care and integrated systems, including the Affordable Care Act
• Outpatient services and Primary Care in the U.S. and other countries, including how public health and primary care interact
• Long-term care services
• Mental health and mental illness
• Populations with special needs, e.g. vulnerable populations
• Health policy in the U.S. and around the world
• The future of health services delivery in the U.S., including health workforce development
Grades may be determined by bi-weekly tests, the Final, News Article Review Analysis presentations, and contributions to class discussions.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Discipline Studies/Social Science
- Foundational Skills/Health