HHP 240 : Science of Nutrition
Science of Nutrition
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Will introduce nutrition to exercise science, nutrition, dietetics, food science, and health science majors who have taken general chemistry. Concepts of nutrient metabolism and utilization, nutrient deficiencies and toxicities and their relationship to disease prevention and treatment. Meets requirements for COCC AS in EXSS and BS in EXSS at OSU-Cascades.
1. Understand chronic health risks and how to implement holistic, lifestyle behavior change to enhance personal and community-wide safety, health and fitness.
2. Develop and apply a strong understanding of human anatomy and physiology to the processes of nutrient digestion, absorption and transport.
3. Recall the unique characteristics and food sources of each of the 6 classes of nutrients.
4. Relate their knowledge of nutrient intake to: Bone health, Blood health, Fluid and electrolyte balance, Immune function, Antioxidant function, and Energy metabolism and their connections with disease prevention and health enhancement.
5. Identify food sources of essential micronutrients and describe the functions of these nutrients as they relate to disease prevention and health promotion.
6) Identify the central pathways of energy metabolism and how these metabolic pathways respond to changes in dietary intake (fed, fasting and starvation).
7) Identify non-nutrient dietary components believed to have health enhancing characteristics: omega-3, phytochemicals, pre and pr0-biotics.
8) Differentiate between different diet planning tools and their use for public health and clinical care.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Discipline Studies/Science No Lab
- Foundational Skills/Health