Wellness Coaching Fundamentals
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
WR 65 or higher.
Explore components of behavior change by providing an overview of the dimensions of wellness, coaching technique and models in health. Foundational concepts of positive psychology, including the history, theory and ethics, as well as mindfulness, appreciative inquiry and self-efficacy will be examined and applied.
1. Understand chronic health risks and how to implement holistic, lifestyle behavior change t enhance personal and community-wide safety, health and fitness.
2. Distinguish among wellness, health and fitness coaches.
3. Define coaching and identify the value of the coach/client relationship.
4. Understand evidence-based coaching psychology, theory, research design, and methodology.
5. Explain the Transtheoretical model of behavior change, Lasting Change model and Appreciative Inquiry model.
6. Demonstrate effective interventions and strategies using coaching tools for improving health related behaviors.
7. Define and use in a coaching session, motivational interviewing, empathy, change-talk and appreciative inquiry.
8. Discuss health, fitness and wellness planning as an important life skill.
9. Demonstrate and discuss the guidelines to follow during an initial 45-90 minute vision and planning coaching session.
10. Use the coaching vision tool to assess your own wellness, fitness or health visions.
11. Demonstrate how to document session notes, guide clients through their goal sets and adapt your coaching style to meet clients’ individual needs.
12. Explain the importance of self-care, boundaries and individual development for the coach.
13. Identify the value of assessments, medical or mental health alerts to define the coaching partnership.
General education/Related instruction lists