HHP 283 : Introduction to Alternative Medicine
Intro to Alternative Medicine
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Introduces the historical and sociopolitical context of conventional and "alternative" medical systems in the United States. A number of professional alternative medical practices will be examined as independent systems, and also as components of the larger context of the overall health care system in America.
1. Understand chronic health risks and how to implement holistic, lifestyle behavior change to enhance personal and community-wide safety, health and fitness.
2. Demonstrate understanding of the historical development of the modern medical model in the United States.
3. Provide examples that demonstrate the sociopolitical context of medicine in the U.S. and its impact on the rise of Biomedicine as the dominant medical model.
4. Compare and contrast the leading “alternative” professional medical practices beyond the standard allopathic model.
5. Discuss the role of “non-professional” healing practices currently used in the U.S., parallel to, or in integration with, Biomedicine.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Foundational Skills/Health