Health Info Technologies
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Provides an introduction and history of computer systems used in health care, the current status of health information systems in health care, and how they are specifically used in health information management. Provides an opportunity to apply documentation standards, data analysis, and compliance and risk management policies and procedures through the use of simulated health records and other clinical documentation.
Course learning outcomes
1. Analyze the history and impact of computers in healthcare.
2. Explain clinical and administrative information systems.
3. Explain the relationship of data quality, information integrity, and quality documentation.
4. Examine information system selection and implementation.
5. Utilize technologies for health information management.
- History of computers and their impact in healthcare
- Administrative information systems
- Clinical information systems
- Electronic health records
- Data quality, information integrity, and quality documentation
- Databases in information systems
- Information systems selection and implementation
- Consumer informatics
- Health information exchange
- Information systems standards in healthcare
- Role of HIM professionals in information systems
- Hands-on applied learning for the paperless medical office
Required textbook, access to a computer and reliable internet access, and portable storage device (i.e., USB drive).