HIM 203 : Health Information Technologies
Health Info Technologies
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Instructor approval based on completion of first-year HIM curriculum.
Provides an introduction and history of computer systems used in health care, the current status of health information systems in health care, and how they are specifically used in Heath Information Management.
1. Analyze the history and impact of computers on Healthcare.
2. Explain Clinical and Administrative Information Systems.
3. Explore Information Systems selection and implementation.
4. Explain the relationship of Data Quality, Information Integrity, and Quality Documentation.
5. Illustrate the role of HIM professionals in Information Systems.
1. History of computers in healthcare
2. Impact of computers on healthcare
3. Computer use in Health Information Management
4. Administrative Information Systems
5. Clinical Information Systems
6. Electronic Health Records
7. Data Quality, Information Integrity, and Quality Documentation
8. Databases in information systems
9. Information systems selection
10. Information systems implementation
11. Consumer informatics
12. Health Information Exchange
13. Information systems standards in health care
14. Role of HIM professionals in information systems
15. Hands on applied learning for the paperless medical office
Required textbook. Computer and reliable internet access. Portable storage device (ie. usb drive).
Knowledge Is assessed through graded exams, quizzes, assignments and projects; this class requires a passing grade of 75% or better.