J 215 : Publications Lab
Pass/No Pass grades
Contact hours total
Practical application of communications instruction through work on the student newspaper. Students are involved in all areas of production including reporting, photojournalism, advertising, production and distribution. P/NP grading. Recommended preparation or recommended to be taken with: J 216.
1. Report news content (stories, photos, audio, video) suitable for publication.
2. Edit texts according to accepted journalistic style.
3. Explore and apply elements of design theory to print and Web publications.
4. Demonstrate teamwork skills and business/management skills related to publication by creating and implementing business strategies for distributing publications, keeping business records, expanding readership, recruiting personnel, and driving advertising.
5. Describe and contribute to production process.
6. Describe journalism’s professional and ethical principles and explain how they apply to newspaper production.
7. Demonstrate ability to meet deadlines and demands established by the production schedule.