PHM 190 : Pharmacy Technician Practicum I: Hospital/Institutional
Pharm Tech Practicum I
Pass/No Pass grades
Contact hours total
This course is an unpaid learning experience which takes place on site at a prearranged clinical facility and is supervised by a registered pharmacist. Each credit is equivalent to 30 hours participation in the clinical worksite. Passing grade will require completion of 120 hours of practice at a facility registered with the Central Oregon Community College Pharmacy Technician Program. You must keep a notebook to log experiences at the worksite and report in the Journal Section of the Pharmacy Seminar Course (PHM 181). A satisfactory evaluation must be submitted by your preceptor that you have successfully exhibited skills in a hospital (institutional) pharmacy. P/NP grading.
1. Calculate dosages for patient medications from a doctor or pharmacist.
2. Use appropriate pharmacy tools obtained in lecture and lab to successfully execute the tasks required of a pharmacy technician.
3. Demonstrate sterile technique while working in the clean room to prepare parenteral drugs and practice the responsibility to maintain drug stocks throughout the hospital.
4. Show an understanding of the importance of HIPAA, pharmacy law, and ethics in the pharmacy setting.
5. Perform hospital setting tasks of a pharmacy technician including performing drug deliveries, calculating correct dosages, and preparing intravenous medication.
6. Communicate clearly with patients, coworkers, and other health care professionals.