Pharm Tech Practicum II
Pass/No Pass grades
Contact hours total
PHM 181, PHM 190.
This course is an unpaid learning experience which takes place on-site at a prearranged clinical facility and is supervised by a registered pharmacist. Each credit is equivalent to 30 hours participation in the clinical setting. Passing grade will require completion of 120 hours of practice at a facility registered with the Central Oregon Community College Pharmacy Technician Program. You must keep a notebook to log experiences at the worksite and report in the Journal Section of the Pharmacy Seminar Course (PHM 181). A satisfactory evaluation must be submitted by your preceptor that you have successfully exhibited skills in a retail (community) pharmacy. P/NP grading.
1. Calculate dosages for patient medications from a doctor or pharmacist.
2. Use appropriate pharmacy tools obtained in lecture and lab to successfully execute the tasks required of a pharmacy technician.
3. Demonstrate problem solving skills in the pharmacy environment including patient medication issues, insurance issues, and logistic problem solving.
4. Show an understanding of the importance of HIPAA, pharmacy law, and ethics in the pharmacy setting.
5. Perform community setting tasks of a pharmacy technician including interpreting prescriptions, managing patient profiles, processing insurance claims, and verifying correct dosages.
6. Communicate clearly with patients, coworkers, and other health care professionals.