SFS 212 : Fire Codes and Ordinances
Fire Codes and Ordinances
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Introduces the International Fire and Building Code (IFC) and laws promulgated by the Office of the State Fire Marshal relating to fire safety and prevention. Includes overview of administrative provisions and many of the applicable standards in the codes. Students apply the codes to specific situations to illustrate understanding and application of the codes and related laws. Students also identify applicable sections of the codes in response to scenarios presented in the classroom or in the field.
1. Explain the code enforcement system and the fire inspector’s role in that system.
2. Describe the codes and standards development and adoption process.
3. Describe the difference between prescriptive and performance based codes.
4. Describe the legal authority and limitations relevant to fire code inspections.
5. Describe the importance of thorough documentation.
6. Recognize ethical practices for the code enforcement officer.
7. Explain the application, and interrelationship of codes, standards, recommended practices and guides.
8. Describe the difference in how codes apply to new and existing structure.
9. Identify appropriate codes and their relationship to other requirements for the built environment.
10. Describe the political, business, and other interest that influence code enforcement process.
11. Identify the professional development process for code enforcement practitioners.