Carpenter Ext/Int Spec I
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Covers Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) safety standards, industry responsibilities, and professional opportunities. Examines and demonstrates the use of construction trade materials and the use and care of basic hand and power tools. Introduces construction equipment, including forklift safe operation and maintenance.
Course learning outcomes
1. Apply Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) safety standards.
2. Use hand tools, power tools, and construction equipment.
3. Evaluate construction trades opportunities and responsibilities.
- OSHA 30, orientation, and introduction to the trades, trade terms
- Building material, fasteners, and adhesives
- Concrete, concrete masonry construction, and steel framing
- Handling and storing building material
- Calculating lumber, panel, and concrete quantities
- Fasteners, anchors, and adhesives
- Hand and power tools
- Introduction to construction drawing, specifications, and layout
Textbook is required.