Ancient Art History
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
WR 065 or higher or minimum placement Wr/Comm Level 7.
Surveys the major periods of visual arts in the West, with a focus on the ancient world. Introduces students to the concepts of art and surveys the development of art in historical context from Prehistory through the early Byzantine Empire. Emphasizes selected works of painting, sculpture, architecture, and other arts studied in relation to the cultures producing them.
1. Identify and discuss major works of ancient art and architecture from Prehistory through the early Byzantine Empire.
2. Utilize vocabulary and language of the visual arts.
3. Discuss the relationships between art and society within their historical, social, cultural, and philosophical contexts.
4. Identify the methods, techniques, and materials used by artists to create their work.
5. Examine and summarize important ancient artistic contributions to the evolution of Western art and culture.
Introduction; Formal Analysis Overview
Ancient Near Eastern Art
Ancient Egyptian Art
Ancient Aegean Art
Ancient Greek Art
Ancient Roman Art
Early Christian and Byzantine Art
All reading and multimedia materials are online and will be linked on the course Blackboard site.
Grades may be determined by exams, written assignments/essay, journals, quizzes, in-class exercises or other assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Arts and Letters
- Cultural Literacy