Medieval and Renaissance Art
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
WR 065 or higher or minimum placement Wr/Comm Level 7.
Surveys the major periods of visual arts in the West, with a focus on the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. Introduces students to the concepts of art and surveys the development of art in historical context from the Early Middle Ages through the Late Renaissance. Emphasizes selected works of painting, sculpture, architecture, and other arts studied in relation to the cultures producing them.
1. Identify and discuss major works of art and architecture from the Early Middle Ages through the Late Renaissance.
2. Utilize vocabulary and language of the visual arts.
3. Discuss the relationships between art and society within their historical, social, cultural, and philosophical contexts.
4. Identify the methods, techniques, and materials used by Medieval and Renaissance artists to create their work.
5. Examine and summarize important Medieval and Renaissance artistic contributions to the evolution of Western art and culture.
Introduction; Formal Analysis Overview
Early Medieval Art
Late Medieval Art
Early Italian Renaissance Art
Early Northern Renaissance Art
High Late Italian Renaissance Art
High Late Northern Renaissance Art
All reading and multimedia materials are online and will be linked on the course Blackboard site.
Grades may be determined by exams, written assignments/essay, journals, quizzes, in-class exercises or other assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Arts and Letters
- Cultural Literacy