Basic Design: Color
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Introduces concepts and principles of color theory related to the visual arts. Make informed color choices to communicate ideas through studying scientific research (theory) and hands-on projects (practice). Emphasizes critical thinking and creative problem solving in a variety of media.
1. Use color and design as a form of visual communication.
2. Apply concepts and principles of color theory in exercises and compositions using a variety of media.
3. Analyze color as a design element.
4. Articulate concepts and principles using color theory vocabulary.
5. Contextualize the evolution of color theory.
6. Use media-specific terminology to receive and provide feedback.
I. Concepts and vocabulary of color theory
II. Additive and subtractive colors and color circles
III. Application of color hamonies: simple, opposing, balanced, and informal
IV. Application of color interactions: value, saturation, chroma, muting, transparency
V. Application of color symbolism
VI. Constructive critique, giving and receiving
Students will need to provide specific materials used in this course, please see the syllabus for a detailed list.
Grading is based on assignment completion and participation in discussions and critiques of assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists