Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
ART 115 and ART 116.
Introduces illustration as a means of communication. Covers visual problem solving, the process of illustration, and an introduction to markets: publication and advertising. Render in various traditional media, bitmap, and vector software through the use of reference and research. Explores personal style, self-promotion, and an introduction to business practices.
1. Use industry-speciﬁc vocabulary when discussing illustration.
2. Create illustrations for publication and advertising markets.
3. Produce illustrations both traditionally and digitally.
4. Use bitmap and vector software to render at a basic level.
5. Prepare work for print and various forms of digital output.
6. Use media-specific terminology to receive and provide feedback.
I. Advertising illustrations for an existing company
II. Promotional illustrations for an existing company
III. Cover art Illustration
IV. Article companion illustration
VI. Constructive critique, giving and receiving
Students will need to provide speciﬁc materials used in this course, please see the syllabus for a detailed list.
Grading is based on assignment completion and participation in discussions and critiques of assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists