Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
ART 115 and ART 131.
Introduces materials and techniques of painting, using alkyd oil, acrylic, and/or water-soluble oil paints. Provides essential painting skills such as building canvas supports, stretching canvas, and preparing painting grounds. Subject matter for paintings will vary.
Course learning outcomes
1. Use painting materials and tools.
2. Use pigment and medium to paint value, color, and intensity.
3. Create original paintings that incorporate the elements of art, principles of design, and compositional strategies.
4. Analyze the works of significant contemporary and historical painters.
5. Contextualize self-created work within the historical and cultural traditions of painting.
6. Use media-specific terminology receive and provide feedback.
- Materials and techniques using alkyd oil, acrylic and/or water-soluble oil paints
- Building canvas supports, stretching canvas, and preparing painting grounds
- References for paintings
- Historical and contemporary paintings
- Constructive critiques, receiving and giving feedback between instructor and classmates
Students will need to provide specific materials used in this course, please see the syllabus for a detailed list.
General education/Related instruction lists