Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
ART 115 and ART 131.
Introduces materials and techniques of painting, using alkyd oil, acrylic, and/or water-soluble oil paints. Provides essential painting skills such as building canvas supports, stretching canvas, and preparing painting grounds. Subject matter for paintings will vary.
1. Use painting materials and tools.
2. Use pigment and medium to paint value, color, and intensity.
3. Create original paintings that incorporate the elements of art, principles of design, and compositional strategies.
4. Analyze the works of significant contemporary and historical painters.
5. Contextualize self-created work within the historical and cultural traditions of painting.
6. Use media-specific terminology receive and provide feedback.
I. Materials and techniques using alkyd oil, acrylic and/or water-soluble oil paints
II. Building canvas supports, stretching canvas, and preparing painting grounds
III. References for paintings
IV. Historical and contemporary paintings
V. Constructive critique, giving and receiving
Students will need to provide specific materials used in this course, please see the syllabus for a detailed list.
Grading is based on assignment completion and participation in discussions and critiques of assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists