ART 234 : Figure Drawing I
Figure Drawing I
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
ART 131 or instructor approval.
Studio introduction to drawing the clothed and unclothed figure using a variety of techniques and media.
1. Understand figure drawing as a process of perception.
2. Depict the human form in an expressive and personal manner
3. Understand the use of various media.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of how shape, value, line and contrast form the structure of a drawing of the human form.
5. Visually organize a depiction of the human figure in a spatial setting.
6. Explore the notion of abstract and positive negative space as it relates to the human form.
7. Analyze and explain drawings made in class.
8. Apply the principles of composition to drawing the human form.
1. Drawing as a process of perception
2. Expressive and personal style
3. Variety of media
4. Shape, value, line and contrast
5. Spatial setting
6. Abstract and positive negative space as it relates to the human form
Students will need to provide specific materials used in this course, please see the syllabus for a detailed list.
Grading is based on participation in labs, discussions and critiques of completed assignments and the development of critiques and ideas demonstrated in portfolio reviews.