AUT 260 : Diesel Performance II
Diesel Performance II
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
This is the second part of a diesel performance sequence. This course will provide the operational principles and theory of: Hydraulically actuated Electronically controlled Unit Injection **(HEUI) systems, the Electronic Unit Injection *(EUI) systems, and the Common Rail (CR) systems, as they are applied to Diesel Engine Performance. The course will include, in depth, Controller Area Networking (CAN),multiplexing, Controller Area Networking (CAN C) language (J1939 protocol), Software Updates, (J2534 re-flash), Vehicle Communication Interface (VCI), Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) systems, Variable Geometry Turbo-chargers (VGT}, Constant Geometry Turbo-chargers (CGT) systems, Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) variations, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) systems, and diagnostic strategies, that will lead to accurate conclusions. The student will be exposed to multiple vehicle product lines during this course and,will be introduced to the proper techniques and procedures to repair them.
1. Describe the operational principles and theory of the following diesel systems:
a. Hydraulically actuated electronically controlled unit injection (HEUI) system.
b. Electronic unit injection (EUI) system.
c. Common rail (CR) system.
2. Describe the function of the controller area network (CAN) communication and J1939 (SAE).
3. Perform diagnosis and test on diesel exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) systems.
4. Service, diagnose, and repair diesel turbo chargers and particulate filters.
5. Perform diesel vehicle Diesel Particulate Filter Cleaning and Diesel-oxidation-catalyst testing.
6. Describe problems found on newer diesel vehicles and the proper methods to make repairs.
7. Describe and practice safety procedures while working in an automotive shop environment.