Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
A detailed introduction into aspects of aviation safety, intended to promote flight safety in the general aviation and training environment. Topics include risk management, pilot psychology, human factors, accident trends, analysis of accident reports, and safety survival.
Course learning outcomes
1. Identify definitions, principles and concepts of aviation safety.
2. Identify and discuss aviation safety issues presented in current aviation periodicals.
3. Explain the various methods of collecting aviation safety data.
4. Describe the Aviation Safety Reporting System (ASRS).
5. Analyze the human, machine, and environmental factors involved in an aircraft accident.
6. List and discuss the impact various legislative and regulatory actions have on the management of safety within the aviation/ aerospace community.
7. Describe a global view of the overall safety effort and the effectiveness of that effort in specific organizations.
• Aeronautical Decision Making
• Maneuvering Flight
• Runway Incursions
• Controlled Flight Into Terrain (CFIT)
• Flight Instruction Safety
• Spatial Disorientation
• Mid-Air Safety
• Safety Management Systems/ Accident Investigation
Requires textbook and/or online learning materials.