Introduction to Business
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Learn about the many exciting and challenging facets of business and its dynamic role in today's environment. Gain a working knowledge of components of business including discussion of management, marketing, entrepreneurship and finance. Introduces topics which are covered in greater depth in higher level business courses. Students are encouraged to use this course to explore the breadth of business topics offered in the Business Administration degrees and identify specific areas of interest or specialization.
1. Describe the business environment, the economic systems, and competition in the global marketplace.
2. Describe the importance of entrepreneurship and the various forms of business ownership.
3. Describe the basic functions of management and the importance of making ethical decisions and managing a socially responsible business.
4. Explain the nature of human resource management and its role in an organization.
5. Explain the role of marketing, the marketing mix, and marketing strategies.
6. Describe the accounting role, financial statements and ratio analysis.
7. Describe the role of financial management, sources of funds and securities markets.
• Business Now: Change is Constant
• Economics: the Framework for Business
• The world Marketplace: Business without Borders
• Business Formation: Choosing the form that Fits
• Entrepreneurship Small Business: Economic rocket Fuel
• Accounting: Decision Making by the Numbers
• Finance: Acquiring Using Funds to Maximize Value
• Financial Markets: Allocating Financial Resources
• Operations Management: Putting it all together
• Management, Motivation, Leadership: Bringing it To Life
• Human Resources: Building a Top Quality Workforce
• Marketing: Building Profitable Customer Connections
• Product Promotion: Creating and Communicating Value
• Distribution Pricing: Right Product, Place, and Price
• Business Communications
This course is assessed through individual and group homework, midterm exams, and a final group presentation along with peer review.