Management Fundamentals I
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Introduces students to the theory and vocabulary of management in a business setting. All of the major theoretical foundations for understanding individual and group behavior and leadership are reviewed in a lecture and discussion instructional format.
Course learning outcomes
1. Describe the importance of management, the four functions of management, and skills involved.
2. Describe how the external environment and internal organization culture impacts performance.
3. Comprehend the differences between social responsibility and ethics and the impact they have relative to business practices and organizational performance.
4. Demonstrate knowledge of the essential tools of planning and decision-making.
5. Describe basic organizational design, including chain of command, span of control, authority and responsibility, centralization versus decentralization, departmentalization, and organic versus mechanistic.
6. Define groups, group development, teams and best practices influencing team performance.
7. Demonstrate a basic knowledge of interpersonal and communication skills requisite to success in the workplace.
- Planning and Decision Making
- Organizational Strategy
- Designing Adaptive Organizations
- Managing Teams
- Managing Communications
- Managing Service and Manufacturing Ops
Required textbook or open educational resources.