Plated Desserts Presentation
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
BAK 140 or CUL 140.
Learn the principles and techniques of plated, banquet, buffet, and table-side desserts. Explore history, decor, purchasing, costing, flavor, presentation, and design sweet and savory desserts. Review high-volume production, portion control, and waste management. Create a final dessert incorporating all topics, including individual design, flavor, and decor.
1. Demonstrate and discuss different presentation styles of baked goods and desserts.
2. Evaluate the quality of presentations of baked goods and desserts.
3. Identify the basic elements of plated desserts.
4. Effectively plan and time for dessert service including food cost; labor cost; and time management.
5. Utilize garnishes on plates to add to visual appeal and to maintain balance on plate.
6. Maintain consistent quality in large-volume desserts.
7. Develop and troubleshoot baking and pastry recipes.
Buffet and Banquet Service
High Volume Dessert Plating
Restaurant Dessert Service
Restaurant Line/Station Setup
Time Management / Efficiency / Attitude
Table Side Service
Requires textbook and baking and pastry tool kit available at the COCC Bookstore.
Grades will be determined by daily competency based applied learning activities, midterm, and final exams.