Advanced Specialty Cakes
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Practice advanced principles of baking, assembly, piping, and decorating of specialty cakes and wedding cakes. Learn design theory; including theme, color, texture, and flavor. Learn basic cake business practices such as selection of ingredients, equipment, tools, retail pricing, consumer trends, delivery, on site construction and client consultation. Produce several single layer and tiered cakes, incorporating advanced techniques; including buttercream, rolled fondant, pastillage, royal icing piped decorations and gum paste flowers. Utilize other techniques such as over-piping, bridgework, stringwork, smocking, painting, embossing, airbrushing, applique and stenciling.
1. Demonstrate advanced decorating techniques using buttercream, fondant, gum paste, gel paints, royal icing, airbrushing, transfer sheets, sugar and chocolate.
2. Implement advanced decorating skills that include appliqué, string-work, painting, ruffling, marbling, drapery and gum paste floral work.
3. Create extravagant and elegant cakes combining unique, highly-skilled design and baking techniques practiced during the term.
4. Apply contemporary pastry design theory using equipment and tools specific to the industry.
5. Produce a collaborative final cake project.
Cake Size and Cost
Cake Assembly and Finishing
Bridge and Extension Work
Requires textbook and baking and pastry tool kit available at the COCC Bookstore.
Grades will be determined by daily competency based applied learning activities, midterm, and final exams.