CHN 101 : Mandarin Chinese I
Mandarin Chinese I
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Introduces Mandarin Chinese language presented within the context of Chinese culture. First course of a three-course sequence. Introduces students to the sound system of Mandarin Chinese and moves on to basic skills in listening, speaking, reading, and copying a limited number of Chinese characters.
1. Recognize basic sounds, words, and a few basic phrases when spoken.
2. Produce basic sounds, words, and phrases with correct tones.
3. Read a limited number of foundational Chinese characters.
4. Copy a limited number of foundational Chinese characters.
• Introduction of sounds and tones
• Introduction to character structure
• Basic grammar rules
• Simple greetings
• Simple introductions
• Yes/No questions
Materials for this class are generated by the instructor for class handouts.
Grades will be determined by weekly quizzes and homework assignments, in-class oral and written presentations, and an oral and written final exam.