2nd Yr Mandarin Chinese I
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
The first course of a three-course sequence in intermediate Mandarin Chinese language and culture. This course will focus on effective communication in the Mandarin Chinese language, emphasizing both the written and spoken language, as well as an understanding of the practices and products of Chinese culture. Particular attention will be given to exploring the relationship between Chinese language, literature, philosophy, and culture.
1. Use speaking and listening skills to participate in short social interactions.
2. Read and compose text about familiar topics using Chinese characters.
3. Apply basic cultural knowledge and recognize Chinese cultural values in order to interact with native speakers of Mandarin Chinese.
4. Identify contemporary and historical Chinese cultural works related to everyday life (food, housing, family).
- Pastimes and sentence-final Le
- Comparative structures
- Describe food flavors and order food
- Phone-related phrases, school terms
- Exchange contact information and postal address
This course will use a textbook and handouts distributed in-class. Students will also be expected to access web-based exercises associated with the textbook.
Grades will be determined by weekly quizzes and homework assignments, in-class oral and written presentations, and an oral and written final exam.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Arts and Letters
- Cultural Literacy