2nd Yr Mandarin Chinese II
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
The second course of a three-course sequence in intermediate Mandarin Chinese language and culture. This course will focus on effective communication in the Mandarin Chinese language, emphasizing both the written and spoken language, as well as an understanding of the practices and products of Chinese culture. Particular attention will be given to exploring the relationship between Chinese language, literature, philosophy, and culture.
1. Use speaking and listening skills to converse with ease and confidence about routine tasks and social situations.
2. Read and compose colloquial text using Chinese characters.
3. Apply wider cultural knowledge and recognize Chinese cultural values in order to interact with native speakers of Mandarin Chinese with elevated appropriateness.
4. Identify and discuss contemporary and historical Chinese cultural works of literature, music, philosophy, visual and/or performing arts.
- Resultative verb ends and direction verb endings
- Identify locations and give directions
- State result or status of an action
- Describe position of objects
- Express appreciation and hospitality
This course will use a textbook and handouts distributed in-class. Students will also be expected to access web-based exercises associated with the textbook.
Grades will be determined by weekly quizzes and homework assignments, in-class oral and written presentations, and an oral and written final exam.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Arts and Letters
- Cultural Literacy