A+ Essentials I
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
CIS 120 or CIS 124.
A+ Essentials is the starting point for a career in IT. Covers the fundamentals of computer technology, installation and configuration of PCs, laptops and related hardware, and basic networking concepts. Prepare for the vendor neutral CompTIA A+ Essentials certification exam (220-901). CIS 140 and 145 utilize one textbook. To become A+ certified requires you to pass both certification exams.
Course learning outcomes
1. Explain the importance, purpose, and properties of motherboard components.
2. Compare and contrast characteristics and purpose of various PC connection interfaces.
3. Identify common TCP and UDP ports, protocols, and their purpose.
4. Install and configure SOHO wireless/wired router and apply appropriate settings.
5. Install and configure laptop hardware and components.
6. Compare and contrast accessories and ports on other mobile devices.
7. Troubleshoot hard drives and RAID arrays with appropriate tools.
8. Troubleshoot and repair common mobile device issues while adhering to the appropriate procedures.
- Motherboard components
- PC connections/interfaces
- TCP and UDP ports and protocols
- Wireless routers
- Laptop hardware
- Mobile devices
- Storage and RAID
Students will need regular and reliable Internet access. Shares a textbook with CIS 145.