CMS Web Development: WordPress
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
CIS 195 Web Development I.
Examines the basics of database-driven websites created using WordPress content management system (CMS), an extremely flexible and scalable technology used for making websites that need database functionality and regular content updates. Students learn through hands-on projects how to install, configure, and manage websites connected to a database. Students will learn how to create rich content for websites that offer both functionality and scalability using WordPress. Other content management systems will be explored.
CIS 197 CMS Web Development: WordPress
1. Install a web server, MySQL server, and PhP (PhP: Hypertext Preprocessor).
2. Install a database and a CMS.
3. Create website users with appropriate permissions.
4. Install a template or theme for the CMS.
5. Create menus, articles, blogs, and special pages using the CMS administrative tools.
6. Manipulate page layout using administrative tools and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets).
7. Install extensions and plug-ins to extend the functionality of the CMS.
8. Follow SEO (search engine optimization) best practices when creating content for a web site that is driven by a CMS.
9. Identify how to acquire web hosting and domain name services for a web site created with a CMS.
10. Create and edit appropriate graphics and multimedia for a website using a CMS.
11. Observe copyright laws and restrictions for publishing on the web