CIS 284EH : Ethical Hacking
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Preparation in network penetration testing methodologies in order to help businesses discover and mitigate security weaknesses, using the Linux and Windows operating systems . Learn security related topics such as: firewalls, intrusion detection systems, vulnerability scanners, packet sniffing, port scanning, cryptography, log analysis, web application attacks, exploitation tools, scripting languages, the Metasploit framework, VPNs, SSL, port redirection, security policies, compliance regulations, and professional code of conduct.
1. Identify important network information using a packet sniffer.
2. Execute a network port scan and identify potential network vulnerabilities.
3. Execute a vulnerability scan to create a vulnerability assessment.
4. Analyze traffic logs using an intrusion detection system.
5. Analyze firewall logs using a customized firewall.
6. Execute a variety of web application attacks including SQL injection and cross site scripting.
7. Execute dictionary and brute force password attacks.
8. Execute exploits and deliver payloads to targeted computers using the Metasploit framework.
9. Execute an SSH port tunnel to send encrypted data over the network.
Essential Knowledge + Lab Activity
Reconnaissance: Scanning and Enumeration + Lab Activity
Sniffing and Evasion + Lab Activity
Attacking a System + Lab Activity
Web-based Hacking + Lab Activity
Wireless Hacking + Lab Activity
Security in the Cloud + Lab Activity
Trojans + Lab Activity
Cryptography + Lab Activity
Social Engineering + Lab Activity
Each student will need a personal computer and internet connection for completing assignments (prefer a computer with a quad-core processor, 8 gigabytes or more of RAM memory, and at least 100 gigabytes of available hard drive storage)
Grades will awarded on a point based system with 90% or higher being an A, 80-89% a B, 70-79% a C, and 60-69% a D.