Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Focuses on historical background, current practices and contemporary issues within correctional processes, institutions and policies pertaining to offenders. Emphasizes the goals of corrections, including deterrence and rehabilitation and the role of local, state and federal corrections in the criminal justice system, including community corrections.
1. Students will demonstrate knowledge of the history of corrections and current practices.
2. Students will demonstrate knowledge of how rising correctional populations affect all levels of the corrections industry.
3. Students will exhibit knowledge of the historical changes in correctional programming and treatment.
4. Students will analyze the influence of individual values, beliefs and experienceson the larger society’s approach to crime and use of the correctional system.
5. Students will develop an understanding of the disparity of justice by gender, race, and the multicultural aspects of the correctional system.
General education/Related instruction lists