Media, Communication, Society
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Analyzes the social and cultural impact of media, including broadcast, print, film and digital communication. Examines careers in selected areas of media.
1. Identify and explain major innovations in media and describe the impact of these innovations on world culture.
2. Evaluate the impact of advertising on the content of media.
3. Demonstrate knowledge of current copyright laws and fair use guidelines for their own media productions.
4. Identify and explain different business models used internationally to support and disseminate journalism.
5. Identify major figures in the history of media and their contributions to our use or understanding of communication.
6. Evaluate media content from a variety of perspectives, including perspectives that are sensitive to race, class, ability, age, nationality, gender-identity, or sexual orientation, etc.
7. Evaluate and fact-check news media.
1. Media Definitions
2. Media Scope
c. Motion Pictures
4. Media Evolution Theory (Ong)
a. Word as Event
b. Word as Object
5. History of Media (worldwide)
a. Visual Art
l. Audio Recording
iii. Magnetic Media
n. Motion Pictures
i. Analogue (Marconi/de Forest)
i. Terrestrial Broadcast
q. Digital Media
i. Forms of Encryption
ii. Digital Rights Management
r. Web Based Media
i. Streaming vs. Ownership
ii. Dark Web
6. History of Media (United States)
a. Colonial Press
d. Post Office
e. Metropolitan Press
f. Penny Press
h. Associated Press
j. Federal Radio Commission
l. Federal Communications Commission
7. Issues in US Media
a. Public vs. Private
b. Centralized vs. Local
c. Entertainment vs. Journalism
d. Diversity of Reporters/Editors/Owners
e. Regulation vs. Unregulated
f. Students as Consumers of Media vs Students as Producers of Media
g. Fair Use Guidelines vs. Copyright Law
Course textbooks, traditional school media (pens, pencils, paper).
Grades will be determined by exams, final paper, media projects and class participation.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Arts and Letters
- Cultural Literacy