COMM 270 : Communicating Love
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
or to be taken with
Provides an overview of the bio-psychological roots of romantic/erotic love, a critique of media images of love and offers practical training in communication skills that maintain and enhance long-term love relationships.
1. Describe the biological and cultural phenomena of romantic love.
2. Identify the sources of one's own beliefs about and experiences with romantic love.
3. Recognize and describe the influence of personal history on affectional choices.
4. Perform empathic listening behaviors.
5. Request behavioral change from one’s romantic partner in a proactive, positive manner.
6. Explain attitudes and communication behaviors that are detrimental to long-term love and identify positive alternatives to those choices.
B. Gender Definitions
II. Dimensions of Love
III. Motivations of Love
IV. Styles of Love
V. Stages of Love
B. Invitational Comm
C. Explorational Comm
D. Intensifying Comm
E. Revising Comm
Traditional materials: Textbooks, pens, paper, poster board.
Grades will be determined by exams, expository writing, and class participation.