CUL 104 : Applied Math for Culinary Arts
Applied Math for Culinary Arts
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
MTH 015 (or higher) or minimum placement Math Level 7.
Learn culinary mathematics including customary and metric units of measurement, decimals and fractions, unit conversions, yield percent, food and beverage costing and markup methods, kitchen ratios, baker’s percent and butcher’s yield percent.
1. Compute conversions of units of measure between the Customary and Metric systems.
2. Compute conversions of units of measure between volume, weight and count.
3. Calculate percentages and ratios.
4. Scale and covert recipes.
5. Calculate food and beverage costing and analysis.
• Customary units of measure
• Metric measures
• Conversion of units of measure within volume or weight
• Conversion between weight and volume
• Yield percent
• Applying yield percent
• Finding costs
• Edible portion cost
• Recipe costing
• Beverage costing
• Recipe conversion
• Kitchen ratios
• Baker's percent
• Butcher's percent
Grades will be determined by weekly homework, midterm exam, and final exam; may include discussion, short essays, and in-class presentation.
General education/Related instruction lists