Culinary Foundations III
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Identify, butcher, fabricate, and cook a variety of meat, poultry and seafood products emphasizing proper technique. Practice small sauce production and the preparation of vegetables, grains, legumes and pastas as accompaniments. Apply modern composition and presentation techniques utilized in the restaurant industry.
Course learning outcomes
1. Demonstrate a variety of knife cuts with speed and accuracy.
2. Conduct recipe scaling and conversions with accuracy.
3. Understand the composition of animal muscle tissue and apply appropriate fabrication and cooking techniques.
4. Evaluate various meat, poultry, and seafood products for quality and apply fabrication skills that ensure maximized yield.
5. Evaluate the quality of specified starches, produce, and base ingredients and utilize the proper volume as required per the technique.
6. Demonstrate professionalism standards relating to appearance and conduct.
7. Demonstrate appropriate knowledge and applied practices for controlling food time/temperature abuse, proper food handling procedures, and personal hygiene practices.
8. Demonstrate knowledge and applied skill relating to the step-by-step process for the primary cooking techniques.
9. Demonstrate consistent knowledge and usage of ratios.
10. Demonstrate the function of mise en place in a professional kitchen.
11. Demonstrate safe knife sharpening and handling techniques and execute classical cuts.