Nutrition Healthy Cooking
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
CUL 140 or BAK 140.
Prepare flavorful food and study its impact upon the body. Learn about current dietary guidelines, along with the function of nutrients within the body. Execute modern, healthy cooking techniques in the lab portion of this course exposing students to meeting nutritional needs and requests of health conscious diners. Learn about healthful menu and recipe design and reengineer classical recipes, producing healthful and flavorful alternatives.
Course learning outcomes
1. Describe the relationship between food, nutrition, the human body, and selected cooking techniques.
2. Apply ingredient substitutions that consider dietary guidelines and balance of flavor.
3. Explain food labeling guidelines and how they influence the restaurant industry procurement and food preparation process.
4. Describe how the dietary categories of carbohydrates, lipids, vitamins and minerals, and protein should be balanced in ingredient selection and meal composition.
5. Demonstrate healthy cooking techniques for a composed meal that provide optimum flavor and that meet national dietary guidelines.