CUL 242 : Charcuterie
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Learn professional skills in variations of hors d’oeuvres and savories, seasonings, condiments, stuffed meats and curing, pickling and smoking of meat, fish and poultry. Develop proficiency in sausage-making, pâtés, terrines, galantines, and stuffed meats. Prepare a variety of charcuterie products from fresh sausage to dry cured salamis.
1. Demonstrate advanced sausage production techniques.
2. Explain the importance of charcuterie products and related condiments on a modern menu.
3. Prepare wet and dry cures.
4. Demonstrate proper sanitation practices relating specifically to charcuterie.
5. Demonstrate hot and cold smoking techniques.
6. Prepare confits, terrines and forcemeats.
Safety and Sanitation
Confit (preserved in fat).
Pellicle (dry surface of smoked proteins).
Dry Cured Meats
Charcuterie on Modern Menus
Requires textbook and culinary arts tool kit available at the COCC Bookstore.
Grades will be determined by daily competency based applied learning activities, midterm, and final exams.