Regional Cuisines: France
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
This course utilizes ingredients and techniques used in a specific regional cuisine--France. It combines lecture, demonstration, application, and presentation as a means to explore a culture through the understanding of its food. Students examine food in the context of culture, geography, history, and the influence a region’s cuisine has worldwide.
Course learning outcomes
1. Prepare a variety of foods from a specific region or country.
2. Identify differences and similarities in the cuisines of neighboring provinces/regions within a country.
3. Explain how the topography and climate influence the cuisine of a country.
4. Identify cooking methods commonly used in a specific country.
5. Describe the history of the countries of study and how this may have impacted the development of the cooking style and ingredients used.
6. Display knowledge of how a cultures’ ingredients and techniques have impacted modern food flavor profiling and techniques practices.