DA 120 : Advanced Dental Assisting
Advanced Dental Assisting
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Continuation of DA 110 and furthers student's knowledge of the dental assisting profession. Includes lecture, power point presentations, videos, discussions, demonstrations and lab participation. Covers the advanced dental assisting skills of dental dam placement and procedures involved with the dental specialties of endodontics, periodontics and oral surgery. Also covers expanded functions such as coronal polishing, suture removal and pit and fissure sealants in accordance with the Oregon Board of Dentistry.
1. Explain the rationales for the use of a dental dam during patient care and demonstrate safe placement of the dam on a patient.
2. Explain the tests used to determine the need for endodontic treatment of a tooth, and set up armamentarium and instruments for the procedure.
3. Analyze case studies and examine a radiograph, to determine which oral surgery set up is needed for the various types of oral surgical procedures.
4. Show competency in assisting with endodontic treatment and a variety of oral surgical dental procedures.
5. Describe the options a patient has for replacing missing teeth, including the benefits and drawbacks of each type.
6. Demonstrate pre-clinical competency in assisting during fixed prosthodontic treatment, including preliminary and final impressions.
A. Dental Dam
C. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
D. Suture Removal
E. Fixed Prosthodontics
F. Initial Charting
G. Basic Orthodontic Skills
Requires a textbook, workbook and course packet.
Grades will be determined by homework assignments, professionalism points, in class assignments, laboratory competencies, quizzes, a clinical final exam and final exam.