Dental Assisting Practicum I
Pass/No Pass grades
Contact hours total
DA 120, DA 130, DA 135, DA 151, DA 181.
A supervised, unpaid learning experience which takes place on-site at the COCC Dental and Radiology Clinics and at various community outreach facilities. Provides students with the opportunity to perform clearly identified competencies within the clinical setting. Each credit is equivalent to 30 hours in the clinical setting. See DA 120 for second term Dental Assisting program prerequisites. P/NP grading.
1. The student will apply the theory and pre-clinical skills acquired fall term to the patient care situations found in their respective practicum dental office.
2. The student will treat the practicum experience as employment by assuming the duties and responsibilities of an employed dental assistant.
3. The student will provide accurate and detailed records of the practicum experience, including the following:
• Dates, days and times of attendance.
• Detailed accounts of observed and performed clinical procedures.
• Weekly reflective journal entries of their experience in the dental office.
4. The student will respectfully and confidentially participate in active sharing of their practicum experience with the instructor and their fellow classmates during the weekly seminar class.
5. The student will evaluate and summarize both the positive and negative aspects of the practicum experience.