Intro to Product Design
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Introduction to the product design profession, design thinking methods, and processes. Examines manufacturing technologies, materials, fabrication processes, sustainable design, and design successes and failures. Requires developing and pitching a product idea. Repeatable for credit.
Course learning outcomes
1. Summarize the importance of sustainable product design throughout history and in our current society.
2. Examine how manufacturing technologies, materials, and fabrication processes can effect the outcome of a product.
3. Identify the reasons for product successes and failures.
4. Develop a product idea using design thinking methods and processes.
5. Use media-specific terminology to receive and provide feedback.
- Product design as a profession
- Historical and current product designs and designers
- Sustainable design
- Materials, fabrication and production methods, and manufacturing technologies
- Design successes and failures
- Design thinking methods and the design process
- Product research and development project
- Constructive critique: giving and receiving feedback between instructor and classmates
Students will need to provide specific materials used in this course; please see the syllabus for a detailed list.
General education/Related instruction lists