Intro to ED Practicum/Seminar
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Provides 60 hours of K-12 classroom experience to help students decide early whether teaching is a good fit. Provides weekly reflection and discussion in seminar related to the course content and field placement observations. Requires a criminal history check for placement in a K-12 classroom.
1. Reflect on the practicum experience for purposes of career confirmation and identify next steps in personal education plan.
2. Describe a classroom environment that is safe, inclusive, and equitable for all learners.
3. Identify bias and diversity issues in the teaching environment.
4. Describe effective teaching practices for student engagement and success.
5. Apply and practice professional, ethical/legal knowledge and behavior.
I. Characteristics of effective schools
II. Elements of a positive classroom community
III. Qualities of high quality educators
IV. Oregon standards for teaching and learning
V. Developmentally Appropriate Practices
VI. Culturally Responsive Teaching Practices
VII. Effective Teaching Strategies Curriculum Planning
VIII. Professionalism Ethics for Educators
Textbook or OER resources.
Grades will be determined by weekly assignments, a final reflection and the submission of a log that documents 60 hours of field placement experience that is signed by a mentor teacher.