Language Literacy in ECE
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Covers language and literacy development as it relates to early childhood education. Also covers the history of literacy development, the family's role, how young children learn to read and write, using books with children, concepts of print, comprehension, differing abilities in literacy development, and the role of observation and assessment. Three hours of supervised weekly field placement required.
1. Develop a philosophy on language and literacy development in ECE.
2. Design environments, curriculum, and/or materials that enhance language and literacy development in ECE.
3. Demonstrate effective lesson planning to teach children in an ECE setting topics related to language and literacy development.
4. Demonstrate ability to select other activities designed to teach language and literacy in ECE settings.
5. Reflect on learning and application of learning throughout this course.
6. Demonstrate ability to integrate new knowledge through application of knowledge gained through reading assignments and class discussions.