Foundations of Education
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Analyzes the system of education in a democratic society. Introduces the historical, social, philosophical, political, legal and economic foundations of education to provide a framework from which to analyze contemporary educational issues.
1. Analyze current issues in education through historical, sociological, political and philosophical lenses and apply analysis to educational systems as levers of social justice.
2. Articulate an initial personal philosophy of education through examination of different schools of thought.
3. Identify the roles, professional responsibilities, and ethical expectations of teachers in today's schools and link this to individual identity and career goals.
4. Explain how difference is socially constructed in the education system.
5. Describe how perceived difference combined with unequal distribution of power across economic, social, and political institutions result in discrimination.
6. Analyze ways in which the interactions of social categories (race, ethnicity, social class, gender, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age) are related to difference, power, and discrimination in the United States.
1. Introduction to Education
2. The History of Education Part 1
3. The History of Education Part 2
4. Philosophy of Education Part 1
5. Philosophy of Education Part 2
6. Schools and Society
7. Schools and Diversity
8. Students and their Families
9. Becoming a High Quality Teacher
Grades will be determined by weekly assignments, midterm exam and final exam.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Social Science
- Cultural Literacy