EMT 152 : Emergency Medical Technician Part B
EMT Basic Part B
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Department approval and EMT 151 (completed at COCC within one academic year).
Develops skills in pre-hospital assessment and care for patients of all ages with a variety of medical conditions and traumatic injuries. Part 2 of 2-part National EMS Standards Curriculum course. Students must complete an eight (8) hour "shift" EMS agency ride-a-long.
1. Identify the roles and responsibilities of an EMT within an EMS system; apply the basic concepts of development, pathophysiology and pharmacology to assessment and management of emergency patients; be able to properly administer medications and communicate effectively with patients.
2. Establish and/ or maintain a patent airway, oxygenate and ventilate a patient.
3. Take a proper history and perform a comprehensive physical exam on any patient and communicate the findings to others.
4. Integrate pathophysiological principles and assessment findings to formulate a field impression and implement the treatment plan for the following: the trauma patient; the medical patient; patients with common complaints; neonatal, pediatric, geriatric patience, diverse patients and chronically ill patients.
5. Safely manage the scene of an emergency.