Crisis Intervention for EMS
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Covers intervention in behavioral crises caused by crises of sudden death, suicide, rape, murder, vehicle accidents, disease, trauma, and child abuse. Includes resources, supporting behavioral patterns, and handling emotional stress of the patient as well as coping with emotional conflict within one's self.
1.Identify positive and negative approaches in order to provide safe and optimal care to patients perceived to be in crisis.
2. Identify personal coping strategies in order to avoid burnout.
3. Interact appropriately and professionally with individuals who have experienced or who are experiencing critical incidents.
• Defining Crisis and Crises Intervention (Dealing with Chaos)
• Verbal Judo
• When Words Aren’t Enough
• Special Patients, Special Approach (Children, Elderly, Diverse Cultures)
• Special Patients, Special Approach (Mental Health Crisis, Attempted Suicides)
• Special Patients, Special Approach (Rape, Human Trafficking, Domestic Violence)
• Caring for the Caregivers
• Critical Incident Debriefing
• Conflict Resolution
• Stress Management
• Anger Management
• Recognizing Burnout
• Stress and the Emergency Family
• Assisting Individuals in Crisis
Materials will be provided for the student on Blackboard.
Students will be assessed using assignments, group exercises, scenarios, simulations, quizzes, and exams.