Paramedic Part II
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
EMT 290 and EMT 291.
Offers second term of a three-term course, which includes EMT 290 and EMT 294. Focuses on anaphylactic, toxicological, environmental, geriatric, pediatric, neonatal, and endocrine emergencies; infectious diseases; capnography; special patient populations; hematology; psychiatric care; crime scene preservation; genitourinary care; and trauma care. Applies didactic knowledge to campus-based laboratory skills practice.
1. Demonstrate the understanding of the roles and responsibilities of a Paramedic within an EMS system; apply the basic concepts of development, pathophysiology and pharmacology to assessment and management of emergency patients; be able to properly administer medications and communicate effectively with patients in a lab and clinical setting.
2. Demonstrate the ability to establish and/ or maintain a patent airway, oxygenate and ventilate a patient in a lab and a clinical setting.
3. Demonstrate and demonstrate the ability to take a proper history and perform a comprehensive physical exam on any patient and communicate the findings to others and demonstrate through lab and clinical settings.
4. Demonstrate the ability to integrate pathophysiological principles and assessment findings to formulate a field impression and implement the treatment plan for the trauma patient; the medical patient; the neonatal, pediatric, geriatric patients, divers patients and chronically ill patients; and for patients with common complaints, in scenarios and in a lab setting.
5. Demonstrate the ability to safely manage the scene of an emergency in a lab and clinical setting.
NREMT Oral Station and Portfolio Introduction
CISD for the Fire/EMS service
MCI and Rescue
Rural EMS and Responding to Terrorist Acts
Gastroenterology and Urology
Toxicology and Abuse
Textbooks are required.
Grades may be determined by quizzes, homework, exams, a cumulative mid-term exam, a cumulative final exam, a lab practical-skills final exam (pass/no pass) and affective domain.