Survey American Literature II
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Covers selected works of American literature written during the late 19th century and the 20th century. Covers the transition from Realism and Naturalism to Modernism, the Jazz Age, the Harlem Renaissance, the Confessional and "Beat" poets and writers and late 20th century short fiction. Need not be taken in sequence.
1. Students will understand the features of post Civil War American literary historical periods (such as literary realism, naturalism, modernism, and post-modernism).
2. Students will understand the development and impact of the establishment of an American literary “canon.”
3. Students will analyze how American literature can reflect the American experience, psyche and identity of Americans, as well as reflect the diverse cultures and perspectives which comprise the body of literature in America since the Civil War.
4. Students will apply a range of reading strategies to analyze and interpret a variety of literary texts within their historical and literary contexts.
5. Students will use informal and formal writing to analyze and interpret literary works integrating textual evidence following MLA guidelines.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Arts and Letters
- Cultural Literacy