Intro to African Amer Studies
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
This course examines the historical, political, social, and cultural issues that shape the experiences of African Americans both in the past and present. The course will cover many of the historical and contemporary concerns and issues facing African American communities with particular attention to the voices within these communities.
1. Summarize a general historical overview of the history of African Americans in the United States.
2. Identify and describe major figures, events, and issues in the history and experience of African Americans.
3. Explain and provide context for contemporary socio-cultural issues facing African Americans.
4. Identify elements of diversity in human experience as affected by race and racism.
5. Recognize and discuss the multiplicity of experiences and perspectives within African American communities.
6. Identify and discuss the contributions of African Americans to US culture and politics.
• Historical foundations of oppression and resistance: Slave trade and Reconstruction
• Historical foundations: intellectuals, artists, and entertainers (from reconstruction to renaissance)
• Segregation, Civil Rights, and Black Power
• Politics and Art (ex: media and representation, music and resistance, literature)
• Social policies and economic realities (ex: issues of housing, education, and incarceration)
• Contemporary struggles and achievements (ex: Black Lives Matter movements, NFL kneeling debate, hurricane Katrina, race and environmental justice movements)
• Black and… :intersectionality and the variety of experiences within African American Communities (topics could include religion, gender, sexuality, class, nationality)
This course will require a textbook and/or readings.
Grades will be determined be midterm and final exams; may include essay assignments, quizzes, informal written or oral responses to analyze visual or textual sources.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Social Science
- Cultural Literacy