FA 257 : Literature Into Film
Literature Into Film
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Implements analysis of the structure of motion pictures to teach about structure of literature, allowing students to see the comparative strengths of each form. Aspects of narrative to be compared include plot and structure, character development, point of view, figurative discourse, symbol and allegory and means of controlling and expressing passage of time.
1. Students will participate critically in the literature/screen debate.
2. Students will recognize, discuss, and apply (in critiques and in tests) the principles of visual language and their use by filmmakers.
3. Students will understand the specific problems concerning the transfer of fiction into film.
4. Students will combine theory and practice in the form of case-studies.
5. Students will demonstrate critical skills in written and oral form.
6. Students will recognize, identify, and discuss the basic techniques and structural elements of cinema and literature.
7. Students will discuss genre and non-genre; myth and symbol; styles and trends in literature and film.
8. Students will discuss film and literature as art forms and communicators and transferors of cultural values.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Discipline Studies/Arts and Letters